Friday 11 January 2008

Ta-dah! Here I is, at long last!

Well, I finally caved in to both temptation and deafening demand (cough) and have started a blog to spout off when I have something to say. Could be very often or next to nothing, but I have a few topics in mind (here's a hint, one will be in response to Tone's blog, links to be added soon) so there may be a flurry in the short term.

My first posting finds me conflicted as usual. Hoorah!! After weeks of constant searching, I won an A3 lightbox (to be used heavily in saving alot of artwork from dodgy details when I tweak the pages for The Jock #1--continual comments will be forthcoming regarding this project) on eBay last night for just £2 more than the cheapest prices I've seen elsewhere (but were constantly out of stock). I won, then saw there was a Buy It Now scanner added after I placed my winning bid, priced at £15 cheaper. Goddammit!

Recently, I dusted off and updated my book on comics adaptations on screen, completing the work this weekend. The book currently clocks in at just over 300 pages with just over 150 entries across five sections. I'm just giving it a final run through for errors and grammatical revision and will be liasing with Dave M and Tone for advice on creating the cover and turning the whole thing into a PDF (as I'm not very techy), hoping to print off a few copies for myself and mates. Then what do I see, but this bastard thing:

http://www.lulu.com/content/1677433

This kind of pips me to the post but is different enough from my book that I still think I should print up a few not the least because I SPENT FRIGGIN' YEARS WORKING ON THE DAMN THING!!! I've ordered the above book (it's something I'm interested in, hence why I started my book in the first place...which was a LOT more work than I first thought) but won't let it influence my book, which I'm sure will be more in-depth. With twice as many pages covering fewer entries, mainly covering the American comics we're all familiar with (with a section covering British comics and English-language versions of European comics, with two or three mangas thrown in), I'm hoping my book won't be the dry academic work I'm assuming the above to be.

But never assume, that makes an arse out of yourself and I apparently---I've never understood that reasoning, to be honest....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

'Bout time.

Dig the blog title, very apt. Though I wouldn't like you when you're angry says Mr McGee.

Apologies in advance for that last line.

Rol said...

Yay! Seconded.

Damn you, Tone, I wanted to be first comment!

dave said...

How do, mr Nigel, and thanks for the link. Thinking of fiddling with me blog and leaving myspace as to be honest, it's a bit on the shit side, but very easy to use.

Nige Lowrey said...

Well, Davey, sign up here then! Five minutes registering and setting up, and you're done! Christ, I can barely do my showlaces, but if I can do this on my own, anyone can...