Saturday 24 May 2008

From My Collection Part 1


Started pencilling some Jock stuff today (completed two pages of pencils and could easily have done a third but had other things that needed doing) and had to refer back to earlier pages to maintain continuity and accidentally pulled out my folder of original art and sketches, so I thought I'd share a few pieces here...

First up above is Dr Strange by Kevin Nowlan, probably my favourite sketch (just as well for the amount of time I had to queue for it!). At first I asked for Cyclops but when he couldn't recall how to do the visor, we settled on Dr Strange instead.




Next up is Captain Britain by Alan Davis. A close contender for favourite spot, I was tempted to submit this to Back Issue for inclusion in the CB article (out in July, folks!). Got a chance to thank the man in person for his help with the afore-mentioned article...Herb Trimpe was also great but Chris Claremont failed to respond to any attempts at contact after agreeing to answer some questions before...




This is Nova by Adi Granov...I love his style and his tutorials have been of great help to me. I was going to ask for Iron Man, obviously his key character, but everybody was asking for him so I asked for Nova instead, a favourite character of mine that Granov was providing covers for at the time. I was the last person to get a sketch due to Granov's commitments elsewhere so feel really fortunate to have this...though having seen the Iron Man film, kinda wish I asked for him after all!



The Saint of Killers, another fave of mine. Not only is it a great piece of a cool character from one of my favourite series ever (Preacher), this also has fond feelings as I opened my post one day to find a note from good pal and hard drinking lady killer Ralph Kidson basically saying "I went to this local comic event and picked something up for you". I opened the pack behind and my jaw dropped when I saw this piece. Great pic but I appreciate Ralphie's thoughts even more..

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't believe how long Adi Granov took over that Nova sketch... must've gone every line at least ten times.

And from others I saw, Alan Davis must have drawn that same head shot a few dozen times over the weekend. Not surprisingly everyone wanted a Captain Britain.

Sketches and original art don't really interest me, I've got nowhere to put my own as it is, with my only original page being an early Davis Outsiders.

Nige Lowrey said...

I love original art and sketches, its only cash and a lack of suitable display ares that stop me from getting more...