Wednesday 8 October 2008

Post Convention Observations

The ghost of this weekend's convention is finally starting to move on, leaving behind a number of thoughts...

What is it with cosplayers? What compels people to dress up like fictional characters (in public, I mean)? It'd be a surreal trip to work one week when Batman or Sonic the Hedgehog sit next to you on the bus. Saw some fine costumes this weekend (Green Arrow was great) but nobody really looks the part. Only Lara Croft looked the part this weekend, winning many a gaze I'm sure...

The goody bags are appreciated but usually full of crap. Last year saw the updated Slings and Arrows book, which I really like, but generally it's tat all the way. Mind you, I quite enjoyed the inclusion of House of M #1 this year...despite not previously caring about the mini, I quite liked the first issue so will definitely be looking out for the tpb next month...

Most people are fine at cons---but there are some tits. Genuine snippet of conversation from some oik to a girl he'd never met before as we waited for folio reviews: "And there was a goblin...and I killed it...and then I was on a spaceship...and I escaped...and then.." Twat.

But the real joy of conventions is just milling about with your mates, taking in something that you enjoy, bitching about minor problems but really appreciating the opportunity to just muck about for however long you are in attendance...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My goody bag got nicked from behind the stall for the second year running, but can't say I shed any tears. Though I did enjoy that free mask in Toxic...

Those DC cosplayers were seriously gay, in the gayest sense. I know a couple of cosplayers but I suppose like most comics fans, it comes down to a mixture of insecurity, wish fulfilment and sheer stupidity.