Sunday 16 November 2008

One Elle Of A Disappointment



A few months ago, I had three characters I wanted to draw: Nico was OK but not as good as I hope, Rogue turned out quite nice and I was hoping Elle from Heroes would turn out nice. No such luck: one out of three's a pretty poor hit rate.

While the likeness is terrible (to the point of bearing NO resemblance!), I was fairly happy with the lineart version, the pencil shading was ok but it all went really wrong in the colouring stage. The lightning was the final topper that threw this into the crap pile...I'd drawn in the bolts and intended to wipe them out in photoshop. However, that proved to be really time-consuming and dull so I just went over the bolts with the airbrush tool. I'd already added a soft haze to the bolts but these were eaten up during this final process.

As I hate this pic, I've also attached the earlier stages, which are much more successful. I'll probably still try to get a decent likeness for Elle out of bloody-mindedness but time to leave this one behind...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're being overly hard on yourself as usual. That's a really nice image, and an impressive colouring job. Fair nuff, looks nothing like Elle, but it's a good pic none the less. Maybe you could use it as PJANG #3 cover ;-)

Rol said...

I'm with Tone. The pose is a little stiff and I don't really know the character so can't comment on the likeness, but other than that it's an eyecatching image. The colour & shading works particularly well for me.

Nige Lowrey said...

I don't mind the colouring on the figure (quite like the colouring on the hair and face actually) but think the background and lightning let it down.

Was going to have a more dramatic, action shot original but then an Adam Hughes Wonder Woman cover popped into my mind and I realised I was subconsciously aping it so went for a more restrained shot instead...

Cover: http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=96913563818%20194
still

Anonymous said...

i need help with my science homework website that writes essays for you online dating service business plan do my maths homework online