Monday 9 February 2009

Weather With You




Bloody buses--all the snow and ice has gone except for a few patches on the pavements and the buses STILL didn't run this morning! i had to walk two miles into work (which wasn't too bad) but the sporadic bus service during the day meant I had to wait 45 minutes in the freezing blowing rain instead of a quick 10 minutes, thus robbing me of all focus on inking either of the Pjang pages ready to go.

Still, the day wasn't all bad as a mag turned up featuring a feature on Adam Hughes. This is the first AH! stuff I've bought since the Rose and the Thorn series and was pleased to see his work was featured on the cover. I haven't read the interview yet but doesn't look like there's the tips and techniques that I'd hoped, just lots of nice art.

As I still want to keep drawing regularly, I actually manged to rough out a decent A3 size figure after a few aborted attempts. I had to go through several versions of the hands, arms and legs to get it to work but it hangs together OK for me. I think the crappy eagle detracts so I'll cut that and will probably work on a more expressive, happier face.

I also drew a new set of panels for the daily strip idea I have percolating and went into WHSmiths to try and find some new pens for ruling lines--I picked up black Berol handwriting pens and Pentel energel pens and both seem pretty good. I also invested in a flexible curve (you never know when you'll need one!) and in a minute I'll be off to sketch a few quick models for the daily strip idea while I cook me dinner and watch a black and white war film...hopefully tomorrow will find me back inking again...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They all look promising, but out of the 3 A3 figures I like the Power Girl and the second Supergirl. Although I kinda wish you'd draw some other big knockered heroines for a change ;)

Nige Lowrey said...

The second Supergirl is on the back of the other one (which I inked today as I had a few errands that meant I didn't really have time to dedicate to comic inking)so it won't get finished. However, I tried copying the pose again but it went all wrong.Maybe I'll lightbox it.

I changed the character to Wonder Woman though as I only choose Supergirl and Power Girl because I can't think of anybody else and like their iconic looks. I never thought about WW but now also wouldn't mind doing a decent Donna troy either...

Unknown said...

Well okay, here's a challenge: try drawing a female without Power, Super or Wonder in their names ;)